Monday, May 16, 2011

Wonder Makes God Real Every Day - Psalm 8

"I wonder who else is going to be in my group at camp.” “I wonder what group I will be in.” “I wonder who my counselors are going to be.” “I wonder what we’ll do at camp.” Are you hearing any of these thoughts being uttered as summer camp nears? The first day of camp is all about wonder. Wonder is a great thing, it is exciting and amazing, but it can also be scary, as we try to wrap our minds around something unfamiliar. In Psalm 8, the first day of camp’s scripture talks about the wonder of the night sky and the incredible creation God has put around us. The author then goes on to consider the fact that God then gave all of this wondrous creation to man to care for. Some might wonder why in the world He would do this.

Many years ago, I was a summer staff member at Dwight Mission, and like all staff members and campers, I would go outside in the mornings for morning watch and take some time in the morning to be with God. I don’t think I have felt a sense of wonder more than these moments. One time I got to watch a mole digging a tunnel towards the sidewalk, and then poke its head out of the hole as I am sure it was frustrated as to why it could no longer move forward. Another time I saw a little ant, carrying something on its way to the colony. The more I watched the ant zoom up and down the cracks and fissures in the side walk, the more I started thinking about how amazingly wondrous this little creature was. I started putting what the ant was doing into scale for me, and well, I don’t think I will be scaling any 10-12 foot walls within two seconds any time soon. And then I start to think that if God can spend time working on a tiny little ant, one small little piece of this enormous earth, and perfect it to what it is today, I can’t even imagine how much time and love He spends on us, His caretakers of this awesome creation before us. That is immense. That makes me wonder.

I am sure you have your own ‘thing’ that makes you wonder. It might be the Redwood forest, the stars in the night sky, the currents in the ocean, or the wind that blows across the plains. All of these things are wonderful and awe-inspiring. Dwight is a great place to really wonder and awe at God’s creation. The scenery is breathtaking, the wildlife abundant, and at night, when the sky is cloudless, you can really see the stars. One big part of Psalm 8 is praise. The author praises God for the wonder and amazement of His vast love. Do we take the time to teach our children to wonder and praise God for His unfailing love? Can this happen in your own backyard? At school? At camp we will talk about how God is real EVERY day, and how we can wonder and praise God all the time, not just in church or at camp. Ask your child if they have ever felt a sense of wonder. Talk to them about the things that amaze them. Then talk to them about what it means to be caretakers of these amazing and wonderful things. Then say a prayer together praising God. You can even say Psalm 8 as your prayer. And remember to take some time to really look at what God has done for us each day, and think about what He asks of us in return.

Dog (Dog), Dog Cat (Dog, Cat), Dog Cat Moose (Dog, Cat, Moose), Froggy! Think you know Dwight’s Top 10 Songs? Check out the list we compiled here (not necessarily in any order)

The Benediction Song

Amazing Grace/Jesus Loves Me Dwight Style

Sanctuary

The Golden Broom Award

One Tin Soldier

Light the Fire

Rise and Shine

Prince of Peace

Pass It On

Buzzard/Turkey Bird Song

The Return is coming! Just a few more weeks and we'll be singing for the return...

Elizabeth Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment